Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Frank Herbert Mason (1921-2009)






Frank Mason passed away this week on June 16, 2009 at the age of 88. He was the my painting teacher when I studied at the Art Students League in New York. Frank taught at the league from 1951 (taking over the class from Frank Vincent DuMond, Mason's teacher) until 2008 when he retired from teaching. His dedication to teaching mopes like to paint was unwavering. He was inspiring and I remember watching him paint crits and thinking this man is a magician. It was not magic however, but great technique infused with love of the old masters and life. One of the many things he instilled in me was a love for painting. Frank was force of nature, an amazing painter of great passion.
I never forget his infectious laugh and the those huge hands which would slap you on the back sending you forward foot or two afterword he would say, "so Jeffrey what do you think?" He was free spirit and one hell of a painter and will be remembered for his dedication to teaching and to preserving the legacy of the great masters.
Rest in peace Maestro.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A talent and teacher like that will be greatly missed.

Karen Winslow said...

Frank is in my head and I hear him when I paint....
"Where's the light effect?" He was a wonderful teacher, and I am thankful that he shared his knowledge and passion with so many artists. He is greatly missed.